10. SWEENEY TODD (2007) “THE FREAK SHOW”:
Sweeney Todd tells the story of Benjamin Barker, who vows his revenge after the death of his wife and opens a barbershop in which he slits the throats of customers and bakes them into pies.
9. BEAUTY SHOP (2005) “THE LIGHT-HEARTED”:
In this sequel to Barbershop, the women get their own chance to shampoo, shine and speak their minds at the beauty shop.
8. VIDAL SASSOON: THE MOVIE (2010) “THE CLASSIC DOCUMENTARY”:
This documentary traces the life of Vidal Sassoon, the self-made man whose passion and perseverance took him to the pinnacle of his craft.
7. BLOW DRY (2001) “THE ROMCOM”:
Blow Dry is a touching British film that focuses on the takeover of a small English village by the British Hairdressing Championship holding its annual competition there.
6. EDWARD SCISSORHANDS (1990) “THE FAIRYTALE”:
In this modern-day fantasy, we’re told the story of man with scissors for hands who falls in love with a beautiful, young girl. Not to mention a brilliant performance from J. Depp.
5. SHAMPOO (1975) “THE LOVE TRIANGLE”:
Shampoo is a satirical romantic drama that centers on George Roundy, a successful Beverly Hills hairdresser who spends as much time sleeping with his female clients as he does doing their hair.
4. YOU DON’T MESS WITH THE ZOHAN (2008) “THE CRIME FIGHTER”:
In this action-comedy, an Israeli Special Forces Soldier, Zohan, fakes his death so he can re-emerge in New York City as a hair stylist.
3. HAIRSPRAY (1988, 2007) “THE SHOW TUNE”:
Hairspray revolves around self-proclaimed “pleasantly plump” teenager Tracy Turnblad as she pursues stardom as a dancer on a local TV show and rallies against racial segregation.
2. GOOD HAIR (2009) “THE OVER-ACHIEVER”:
In this documentary, comedian Chris Rock explores the history of how African-American women perceive their hair and what is considered acceptable and desirable for African-American women’s hair in the U.S.
1. STEEL MAGNOLIAS (1989) “THE TEAR JERKER”:
Steel Magnolias is a heart-wrenching drama about a beauty shop in Louisiana owned by Truvy Jones and the tragedies of all her clients.